Councillors Back Partial Demolition and Open Market Disposal at Waterworld Site in Portrush
May 18, 2026
Councillors on Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council’s Land and Property and Strategic Assets Sub-Committee have agreed to partially demolish the former Waterworld site in Portrush as part of proposals to move forward with the disposal of the asset on the open market.
Members backed a recommendation to demolish part of the site, proceed with the D1 disposal process and review the possibility of retaining a smaller section of land to support operational requirements for Council’s Harbour and Marina’s Team.
The proposal was carried following a recorded vote.
Four members voted in favour of the recommendation, with one member voting against and one abstaining.
Those voting in favour were Alderman Michelle Knight-McQuillan and Councillors Cara McShane, Dermot Nicholl and Darryl Wilson.
Councillor Peter McCully voted against the proposal, while Alderman Mark Fielding abstained.
The published minutes are redacted in the section referring to the recommendation to “demolish part of the site”.
However, Explore Causeway Coast & Glens understands that the area earmarked for demolition is affected by title-related issues.
The minutes state: “The Acting Senior Solicitor provided clarity on title in the harbour area of Portrush and referred to viable options and historic actions and advised the Sub Committee of potential for cost associated with retention of site and matters around marketing viability and space limitations in what is a compact area. The Acting Senior Solicitor referred to VAT elements relating to demolition.”
During the discussion, Councillor Nicholl said the asset should have been realised as far back as 2015 and stated that the preferred option would “test the market”.
Councillor McShane agreed, saying decisive action was needed given the amount of time the issue had already been under discussion.
Councillor Wilson described the decision as “straightforward” based on findings presented to members, including ownership complications and the condition of the building.
The Strategic Assets Manager advised that the “outworkings” of the preferred option would ultimately return to the Sub-Committee for further consideration at a later stage.
Councillor McCully opposed any disposal of the asset, highlighting what he described as the site’s potential value for community use.
He also raised concerns around the possibility of future residential development and said he did not want Portrush “to lose its shape”.
Councillor McCully argued that the site was best retained in Council ownership and proposed an alternative option to retain the asset for development as a future capital project. However, the proposal did not receive support from the committee.
The Chair stated that retaining the site for future Council development would likely result in little immediate progress due to the number of other capital projects already under consideration.
The item of business will now go before the Corporate Policy & Resources Committee.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.